Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I can do hard things

It's well known I'm not one who likes to put herself out of my comfort zone.
Always too afraid to do something different from what I'm used to, even extremely content with things the way they are so I do very little to accomplish more.
I say that, and I realize that it's not as true as an statement coming from someone who left everything to go on a 18 month mission to a foreign country, married someone who barely knew and moved thousands and thousands miles aways from her home, had NO ONE, has three kids under 5, had moved homes 5 times... and many more things that totally contradict myself.
BUT... I guess I should say that ALL those things I've done, I would have never done if I hadn't known God would have me by the hand through it all.
Now, I'll tell you about my new adventure... what has put me in my place, what has humbled me ( yet one more time!).
It is a small thing...
learning to drive a standard car.
So you would think that after the major things I've gone thru this would be a bliss...
well, after the first try I thought I wanted to die before having to drive it again.
It was that bad.
All these horrible thoughts were running thru my mind, I couldn't even fall asleep!!
I later read about some ladies going through much more difficult things that made me repent from feeling sorry for myself...because POOR me had to learn to drive while others had to learn to deal with the death of a baby, to face disabilities, to start a new life after a divorce...etc
There's nothing like that to give you a WAKE UP call.
Needles to say, I've driven the car again... and it was so much better.
I keep repeating to myself:
I can do hard things
I can do hard things
I can so hard things!
It's my lesson.
To never say: been there, done that. The "better than thou" attitude just because you are over your difficulty.
I believe I've mentioned the virtue of EMPATHY before.
But it is my biggie.
I so need it in others, I so want to offer it to others.




3 comments:

Patrixjasyu said...

Sure you can! soy testigo.
Por cierto, yo detesto conducir, me da pánico ;-)

lorena said...

Eres una mujer que ha demostrado que "puede" y ahora ya lo sabes!! Vas a poder con todo lo que venga y lo sabrás porque ya te has visto es situaciones duras como la de este verano. Eres una mujer muy fuerte!

Sarahstottle said...

I'm curious, what were you reading?

I can't believe you lost sleep over driving a standard!! Silly girl. You'll be fine. Isn't Evan a good teacher? Or is he the annoying sort that husbands can be sometimes?